Tuesday 26 August 2014

Notes from England - 1.

SHARE
I tried to watch the new Doctor Who last night. He is a Scotchman, presumably to help persuade the Scots to stay in the United Kingdom. I was dismayed that two of the female characters in a children's programme were married to one another and try to draw comfort from the fact that one of the two is from Outer Space and has scales. 

I am reading the first pages of 'The Riddle of the Sands' - my yacht cruise whetted my appetite - and find I am saddened by how much less hierarchical England is these days. Then solicitors were ipso facto middle-class and vulgar. I sometimes think I should have gone to the bar and fought against the zeitgeist there. But better to be in Bucharest and away from it all.

2 comments:

  1. "The Riddle of the Sands" -- a good read.
    Did you come across any German spies in the Adriatic?
    marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - the EU now has the Adriatic. But although I only reached p 100 so far isn't it a case of our old enemy the French (Death Race 2000)

    ReplyDelete